Sunday, July 10, 2011

And So the Journey Begins....Again...

So yesterday I began my wonderful task of researching anything and everything for med school admissions. I am pretty sure I spent about 10+ hours on the Student Doctor Network (SDN) forums reading random postings. Mind you I have a year until I apply (for the second time, sigh...) for med school but I am very much more optimistic this time around. I will actually have a science GPA this time around and several more semesters making the Dean's List (whoo!). And I am hoping to get a professor I have had for 4 classes in the past 2 semesters (and at least 1 more next semester, and possibly another one the following semester) to write me a rec letter. He knows me pretty well and I have done stellar in his courses (which is not an easy task to do). The one thing I am not looking forward to is studying for the dreaded MCAT again. I did fine the last time I did it but I want to increase my score so I can be more competitive. And I think having BioChem, Genetics, Micro, and Cell Bio under my belt will help me achieve that goal. :)

Aside from lurking on the SDN forums, I also spent a couple hours looking up local doctors offices trying to find potential shadowing opportunities. I always feel so weird shadowing people but it is an important thing to do.

Aside from preparing for the med school application process, I am also still on the job hunt. I interviewed at BJC Behavioral Health 2 weeks ago and shadowed a current employee there last week. She told me that it is a good sign that I was offered the opportunity to pre-hire shadow because that means I must have aced the interview and not a lot of people get to shadow. But I have yet to hear anything from them about the position. UGH! I also got a call from Saint Louis University this past week about a psychometrist position I applied for. This is actually something I would love to do because I am weird and love psych assessments and evals. Don't ask because I don't even understand it myself. The woman I talked to said she was going to go back over the applications she had and would be contacting people for interviews. So fingers crossed I get a call from her again! It just gets so frustrating not having a job and being broke. Luckily I have an amazing mom who is willing to help me pay my bills while I am unemployed but it still sucks. I'm a very independent person so I hate having to depend on other people for things that I am used to doing myself. I just hope I find something soon so I can pay my school bills and don't have to drop my classes for the fall :/ It gets tough trying to keep my hopes and mood up during times like this but I have to do my best and believe that there is something out there that is right for me at this point in my life.

Anywho, that is my little rant/update/whining for today. On a funny note, Sophia and I were hanging out outside when she came up to me and I noticed something in her hair. On closer inspection I discovered a cicada in her hair. YIKES! It was a dead one and I knocked it off with my notebook. When I showed it to her, she screamed "AH a big bug!" After that she wanted to go inside and wanted nothing to do with the backyard for the moment. She is such a girl haha. But that was my first and only (knock on wood) sighting of a cicada this year. We haven't even heard them at all this year so it was quite a shock to find one in my princess's hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment